In celebration of National Sunglasses Day on June 27, TOMS Shoes opened up the backyard of its Playa Vista-adjacent headquarters for a live musical event curated by secret-concert producer Sofar Sounds.
Before the show began, more than 150 people milled about the grassy knoll and outdoor hangar space, tossing bean bags, sipping Lagunitas beers, trying on sunglasses, and experiencing virtual TOMS giving trips to Colombia and Peru on VR headsets.
The surprise musical guests were indie rock group Hunny, rapper Wes Period and Afro-Latin funk band Jungle Fire. DJ Disco Mechanic spun EDM beats between sets.
“To play an intimate space ground-floor with the audience is something you rarely get to do,” said Jungle Fire bassist Joey Reina, whose 10-piece band got the whole audience on its feet. “When
you’re that close to people, it’s really easy to have fun.”
— Christina Campodonico
1. A virtual reality booth allowed visitors to experience TOMS giving trips to South America
2. Steph Johnson (left), Aubrey Larson and Kelli McDonald pause for a photo during the concert
3. TOMS indoor/outdoor multipurpose space makes a great music venue
4. Hunny is currently on a North American tour supporting a new album
5. Emmitt James sings along during Wes Period’s set
Photos by Shilah Montiel
Visit sofarsounds.com/la to find out about the next show.