Treat yourself to a day of self-care and wellness at one of these luxury spas
Story by Kamala Kirk
We lead such busy and stressful lives, and the pandemic has taken a toll on everyone, both physically and mentally. Investing in your own health and well-being is one of the most important things that you can do for yourself. Practicing regular self-care offers numerous benefits such as stress reduction and anxiety management, in addition to boosting immune health, improving productivity and increasing happiness.
From massages and facials to acupuncture and more, there are many different ways that you can indulge in some much-needed “me” time. We’ve rounded up some of the best spas on the Westside that offer therapeutic services in luxurious settings that will leave you feeling relaxed and rejuvenated.
• Burke Williams. Founded in 1984 as the original urban day spa, Burke Williams draws inspiration from world-class European spas, combining the finest traditions with nourishing innovations that help you escape the stress of daily life. In addition to Santa Monica, there are multiple spa locations across California, as well as Simply Massage, a massage-only concept in Marina del Rey. Each Burke Williams spa has a large co-ed lounge for relaxing, separate spa amenities for men and women, quiet rooms, vanity areas stocked with self-care amenities, as well as whirlpools, steam rooms, dry saunas, cool misting rooms and private showers. Guests are treated to exceptional quality treatments offered by a team of dedicated, professional therapists including different massages and enhancements, facials and skin care, nail services, hydrotherapy and chiropractic services, which are available at most locations. Their popular memberships include unlimited additional services at member-only prices, product discounts, special member-only gifts and promotions, and other perks.
1358 4th St., Santa Monica; 310-587-3366; burkewilliams.com
• ONE Spa. The perfect location for a relaxing spa day, guests of ONE Spa at Shutters on the Beach enjoy uninterrupted views of the Pacific Ocean while pampering themselves with organic wellness rituals. Expertly trained therapists provide soothing massages, hydrating facials and nail services. Treatments to try include the Microcurrent Facial, which reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles; the Deep Tissue Massage, a full-body therapy that reduces tension, smooths sore muscles, and increases circulation to promote total relaxation; as well as the Deluxe Tranquility Manicure or Pedicure, which include a mineral-rich foot soak, seaweed scrub, organic cuticle care, hot stones and reflexology foot massage.
1 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica; 310-587-1712; shuttersonthebeach.com
• Sea Wellness Spa. Located at the iconic Hotel Casa del Mar, this eco-friendly spa combines the ultimate in anti-aging and hydrating skin care with de-stressing treatments like hot stone massage. The spa menu includes everything from Swedish massage and the rejuvenating HydraFacial to an Ocean Mineral Manicure that refreshes tired, travel worn hands. Spa guests can also lounge by the Palm Terrace pool that overlooks the ocean, sign up for daily fitness classes at the fitness center and have access to personal trainers, surf lessons, bike rentals, as well as yoga and meditation instructors that are available by appointment.
1910 Ocean Way, Santa Monica; 310-581-7767; hotelcasadelmar.com
• Seyhart. Heal your body from the inside out at this chic wellness sanctuary that fills the need for a preventive and whole-person approach to health care. Derived from the Indonesian word “sehat,” Seyhart means “healthy” or “in good health.” Led by a team of physicians and Asian medicine experts, they offer a variety of rejuvenating treatments that allow guests to focus specifically on various aspects of well-being such as recovery, vitality and serenity. Seyhart’s menu includes different acupuncture experiences and add-ons like cupping and gua sha, which offer benefits such as release of toxins, letting go of anxiety, promoting healing and increased energy and strength. For those that don’t like needles, they also offer tuina – a technique that stimulates the body’s energy, enhances blood flow and nourishes the body and organs via pressing, rubbing and kneading soft tissues. If you can’t decide which treatment to get first, try a combination of services such as the Balance (tuina + cupping) or the Harmony (tuina + gua sha).
2629 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica; 310-310-8775; seyhart.com
• The NOW. Featuring a stunning interior inspired by nature and beachside locales around the world, The NOW blends the high-quality services of a luxury massage destination in an elevated setting with the convenience and affordability of a walk-in spot. With multiple locations, The NOW brings accessible and affordable spa services to people across the country. Signature massages include the Healer (energy balancing), the Stretch (for athletes) and the Now (Swedish), and their menu offers various enhancements that range from a soothing eye mask to gua sha, a traditional Chinese medicine technique that targets areas with smooth rose quartz tools. Their custom namesake product lines Nourish, Room and Scent by The NOW are formulated with top-of-the-line ingredients to extend the benefits of your experience at home or on the go. The NOW also offers monthly Ritual Memberships, which include perks such as $10 off monthly massages, exclusive monthly gifts, and 10% off in-store purchases on The NOW products.
2407 Main St., Santa Monica; 323-250-5060; thenowmassage.com
• Surya Spa. The Ayurvedic spa at Santa Monica Proper Hotel is a flagship collaboration between Proper Hospitality, a leading luxury lifestyle hospitality group, and Martha Soffer, an internationally acclaimed Ayurvedic Panchakarma expert, doctor, chef and herbalist. The state-of-the-art wellness haven provides nourishing services that reconnect and restore in a stunning space designed by Kelly Wearstler. In addition to six treatment rooms, amenities include a meditation room, patios and lounges, as well as a retail space that offers the full Surya face + body line and a custom oil blend bar. Signature services range from a four-handed herbal oil massage by two therapists to an invigorating and clearing therapy that focuses on the face, neck and shoulders. In addition to spa services, Surya also offers Ayurvedic cooking classes, Transcendental meditation, Surya Dosha yoga and customized culinary experiences.
700 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica; 310-459-7715; suryaspa.com
• The Spa at Terranea. Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, The Spa at Terranea embraces the natural beauty and energy of its coastal setting to provide a transformative experience for body, mind and spirit. The award-winning 50,000-square-foot oceanfront sanctuary offers prime indoor and outdoor space that allows guests to relax and connect with their surroundings. The spa has a unique approach to wellness, which includes paying attention to the timing of guests’ visits and recommending services according to the Circadian Rhythm. Many treatments on the menu are inspired by Terranea’s locale and incorporate ingredients like honey from the resort’s bee hives. Guests can lounge by the oceanfront spa pool and indoor/outdoor spa lounges with ocean views. For the perfect wellness-focused adult getaway, the Bungalows at Terranea are graciously appointed accommodations located near the spa and cafe, and outfitted with upgraded amenities to provide the ultimate rejuvenation experience. Another offering is the Spa Rejuvenation Package, which includes overnight accommodation, two 60-minute spa treatments and daily breakfast for two.
100 Terranea Way, Rancho Palos Verdes; 310-265-2740; terranea.com
Leave a Reply