Playa Vista families and local law enforcement mixed and mingled at Concert Park in observance of National Night Out, an annual celebration bringing police officers and the community together for hot dogs, conversation and fun.
Hosted by LAPD’s Pacific Division and its Community Police Advisory Board, the Aug. 2 event also featured tunes from band Skye Park, with LAPD officer Joe Sellner on bass.
“When we meet citizens at events like this, they see us as humans and not just police officers,” said Sgt. Kevin Lowe.
“We can’t do our jobs without a community to support us,” Sgt. Dennis Beacham added.
When Helen Stepan’s three-year-old son Julian spotted the firetrucks at the park, she was sold. After Julian posed for photos in the firetruck, the family stayed for the festivities.
“It’s so generous of the police officers to bring food, and the band is great,” she said.
— Robyn Paris
1. Curious kids explore the inside of a firetruck as LAFD engineer Donald Batiste supervises
2. Fire Captain Alvin Engle chats with local Girl Scouts
3. LAFD Assistant Chief Armando Hogan takes a photo with two boys from the area
4. A boy shows Officer Kristan Delatori his Spider-Man balloon sculpture before grabbing a hot dog
5. City Councilman Mike Bonin connects with the crowd
6. LAPD Cadet Bautista and LAPD Officer Brown smile for the camera