Traditional Chinese dance and contemporary food truck treats helped officially ring in the Year of the Rooster with a spirited celebration on Feb. 2 at Playa Vista’s Central Park.
A thunderous banging of drums announced the start of festivities as The Immortals lion dance troupe, back from their surprise pop-up engagement a few days earlier in Concert Park, took to the Central Park Band Shell.
Two pairs of performers tucked themselves underneath lion costumes adorned with glittering sequins and plush fur, bringing the two elongated creatures to life as they gracefully veered toward and away from each other gracefully.
For the grand finale, the dancers jumped from the stage and weaved between onlookers before standing on each other’s shoulders and rolling out silk flags wishing all a Happy New Year in both English and Chinese.
— Kelby Vera
1. A lion dancer sheds her costume to perform martial arts for an enraptured audience.
2. The lion takes a break from its vigorous, stylized dance.
3. Guests enjoy snacks from the Steamy Bun Truck.
4. Community members get up close and personal with the lion.
5. Steven Pho sips a Taiwanese beverage provided by Boba Tea & Me.