On June 4 the Playa Vista Certified Farmers’ Market moved four blocks from its original location on Seabluff Drive to the streets of Runway at Playa Vista, where children can enjoy balloon sculptures and live music while their parents pick up fresh produce.
Market operator and former tomato farmer Mark Anderson, known around town as Farmer Mark, says the move is mutually beneficial.
“Runway is just kind of getting ramped up here, so we’re going to bring our existing customers. It’s also great to have a more permanent home that has a nice, walking promenade feel to it,” he says.
Farmer Mark recommends picking up some organic peaches while they’re in season.
Lauren Levine, who regularly lunches at the market with her mother, likes the new location. “I think it’s livelier. There’s a nice flow to it and it seems like there are more food vendors.”
Another added benefit: lots more parking.
— Shanee Edwards
1. Playa Vista Farmers’ Market booths line up at Runway for the first time.
2. Patrons peruse Sola’s all-natural gourmet salsas, relishes and jams.
3. Linda Ayentes helps Maya and Gemma show off their acrobatic skills.
4. Delicious apricots and nectarines, ripe and in season.
5. Fresh goose eggs — only $7 each!
6. Lunch choices include tasty gluten-free lasagna and quiche created by local bakery The Good Cookies.