Diversity in employment is among the tech industry’s biggest
challenges. St. Bernard Catholic High School in Playa del Rey hopes to balance the odds, one graduating class at a time.
With its new Single-Gender STEM program, St. Bernard hopes to inspire more girls and students of color to choose science, technology, engineering or mathematics as college majors and careers.
On April 26, the IMAX Corp. Headquarters in Playa Vista hosted the premiere of filmmaker Varda Bar-Kar’s “Balancing the Odds,’
a short documentary relating the experiences, accomplishments and aspirations of students in the all-girl science and math program.
Girls highlighted in the film shared appreciation for a learning environment that facilitates stronger student bonds, increased
confidence and fewer distractions.
See the film at stbernardhs.org/documentary.
— Michael Reyes
1. St. Bernard Catholic High School Principal Dr. Patrick Lynch with students.
2. Guests enjoy food and conversation before the screening.
3. Filmmaker Varda Bar-Kar speaks with some of the film’s subjects.
4. An excited audience waits for “Balancing the Odds” to appear on the giant IMAX screen.
5. Bar-Kar enjoys accolades for her film.