These tart scones pair perfectly with coffee or tea on cold mornings
RECIPE BY EMILY CHAVEZ | PHOTO BY LUIS CHAVEZ
Sweet and crumbly scones are the perfect pair for coffee or tea on a chilly November morning. The simple scone recipe starts off with baking basics such as flour, leavening agents and heavy cream. However, this time around, the scone is upgraded with the addition of pump dried tart cherries and silky chocolate. A mildly sweet pastry is the perfect, softly neutral background for delightfully tart cherries and bittersweet chocolate for a balanced bite. From the moment you begin to smell the aromatic cherries and chocolate in the oven to the last scrumptious crumbly bite, this indulgent yet understated bake brings a bit of luxury to a busy morning.
Tart Cherry and Chocolate Scones
Active time: 10 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
Yields: 6 scones
6 ounces dried tart cherries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream 1
/4 cup bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add in dried tart cherries, butter, egg and heavy cream and mix until dough starts to come together.
4. Add chocolate and mix for a couple more seconds.
5. Form dough into a 6-inch round disk.
6. Cut into 6 wedges and transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
7. Bake for 25-28 minutes until golden brown.