On the dark and breezy evening of Oct. 28, a new kind of haunted house brought chills and thrills to the Playa Vista area.
Hosted by the CTRL Collective co-working space, the scream team included artist Tyler Ramsey, Vice Media and a host of top VR creators scheming to scare the candy corn out of Silicon Beachers.
Dark Corner Studios hosted a sinister VR experience called “Catatonic,” in which the participant was strapped into a “reactive” wheelchair by a beautiful nurse with a questionable bedside manner. After donning VR goggles and headphones, the “patient” experienced a bone-chilling journey into a disturbing, dungeon-like mental institution that ended with a blood-curdling injection.
For terror-adverse guests, dancing, food trucks, cocktails and costume-watching made for a devilishly fun evening.
Proceeds from the event went to benefit 826LA, a nonprofit writing and tutoring center for kids in the Los Angeles area.
— Shanee Edwards
1. A neon horse skeleton adds to the creepiness of the Haunted Mansion.
2. A party guest explores a terrifying alternate reality.
3. Stunt performers interact the old fashioned way — by touch.
4. A guest dressed as Wednesday Addams from “The Addams Family” leads her friend around the party with a faux noose.
5. CTRL Collective CEO David Bren and COO Taleia Mueller kick back and enjoy the party with a guest.
6. Party guests drink up under an interactive digital display.